Mamas, this is the year that I want to be crazy creative at saving money. Remember that minivan I talked about in my last post? I want it BAD. Which means I am looking for all. the. ways. that I can save a little here and a little there. Below are the ones that I am so excited to try this year!!
1. Kid swap: Everyone needs a date night once in a while, but if you’re like me, you always wish you wouldn’t have to pay a babysitter. I’d like to propose that you start a kid swap!! Here’s how it works: find a friend to watch your kids for a date night and then you do the same in return. You both get some time away AND a free babysitter!! (All the parents said “HECK YEAH!!“)
2. Save every $5 bill you get: You. Guys. This one might seem crazy, but I decided to try this in 2018. In just the month of January, I’ve saved twelve $5 bills-that’s $60 dollars!! Now, for this to work, you have to be using cash. Our family always uses cash for groceries, out-to-eat money, and personal spending money. I’m excited to see how much I save by the end of the year; if I keep going at this rate, I’ll save roughly $700!!
3. Save your change: Similar to the one above, you might save more than you think by keeping your change. The kicker to this one is putting your change in something with a small opening like an old pickle jar, a 5 gallon water jug, or a good, old-fashioned piggy bank. If you’re like me, you’ve tried saving change before, but in a pinch, you pulled some out because it was there and available. Trick yourself by making it hard to get to (you could use this same idea for the $5 bills)!!
4. Cancel the cleaning lady: All the moms are groaning on this one, but hear me out!! The reason most mamas hate to clean is because their kids are at home, tearing everything apart 0.2 seconds after its been put together. But, may I suggest that you instill Tip #1 and do a kids swap? Find a friend to trade kids with every other week. Week 1, you get to clean your house for 2 hours with NO KIDS. Week 2, your kids get a fun playdate. Save those dolla dolla bills!! (For more fun spins on cleaning, see my post on Cleaning Can Be Fun, No Really!!)
5. Share Netflix with a friend: Ok. Is anyone even paying for Netflix anymore? But seriously, this is a FANTASTIC idea. For $13.99, you can get 4 screens with unlimited streaming on Netflix. The middle plan (which most people have) is 2 screens for $10.99. If you split the highest plan with a friend, you will each pay $7/month which is CHEAPER than their lowest plan!! FOR REAL. (Plus, each of you can make separate profiles so that you don’t have to scroll through what the other person is watching.) BOOM.
So, there you have it-the five creative ideas I plan on implementing this year in order to save some moolah. Which of these are you willing to try? What fun ideas do you have up your sleeve to save a little here and there? I want to know (because I probably want to try them, too)!!
P.S. Have you started saving money for Christmas 2018 yet? Why not start now?! Sign up below to get my Christmas Gift Budget guide and relieve some stress for this coming December.